The K-1 visa can help you bring your partner to the United States

On Behalf of | Sep 2, 2020 | Visas |

You met someone you love out of the country, and that has been a difficult situation to deal with. Instead of being able to live together and get married, you have to worry about negotiating their stay in the United States.

As a citizen, something that you may want to look into is a K-1 visa. A K-1 visa is used to bring a fiancé or fiancée into America from outside the country. Getting this visa isn’t particularly difficult if you have the right information to support your request. You will need to fill out an application and wait for the United States Customs and Immigration Services to review it. The form you will need is the I-129F, which is the petition for an undocumented citizen fiancé(e).

What does the K-1 visa do for you?

With a K-1 visa, fiancé(e)s and spouses of citizens in the United States can be admitted to the United States as nonimmigrants. The visa allows them to stay for 90 days. During those 90 days, they can seek an adjustment of status, which may allow them to remain in the United States as a resident.

The visa doesn’t just apply to the fiancé(e) or spouse. The visa can also be used to bring the individual’s dependent children to the United States.

What are the eligibility requirements for a K-1 visa?

To start with, the person you want to bring to the U.S. must be your fiancé(e) or spouse. You must also show that you have met in person within the last two years, though this can be waived in some cases. You’ll need to show the intention to get married and be legally able to be married. Then, once approved, you must marry within 90 days.